Budget: INR 65 Difficulty Level: Easy Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Serves: 4 Steps: 10
Zucchini is a vegetable that come under the family of cucumbers. Growing up, I am sure most of you would have tried cucumbers in various ways – juice, raita, salad etc. Cucumbers are not always a fan favourite with everyone and zucchini, coming from the same family, do not have a lot of fans. I have not tried zucchini a lot of times. Whenever I go to a fine dining restaurant, or have pastas, I had the chance to, and and I’ll be honest here – it does taste like cucumber, but more bland. Today, we are going to make these zucchini fritters, which I tried a few days back as an experiment. It turned out great. Zucchini fritters are usually made with grated zucchini, eggs and seasoning. I tried a vegan version of the same. Do try it, you will not be disappointed.
Tips before you start: § Make sure that you use a spoon or your hand for mixing so that all the ingredients bind properly. Avoid using a processor as it will dilute its taste. § Do not add a lot of spices to the recipe as it will overpower the taste of the zucchini and chances are you might only taste spices. § Do not add water to the mixture as zucchini has moisture naturally. Ingredients:
· Zucchini – 250 grams
· Onion – 1 small – finely chopped
· Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
· Salt – to taste (I used ¾ teaspoon)
· White Pepper – ½ teaspoon
· Gram Flour – 1 tablespoon
· Wheat Flour – 1 ½ tablespoon
Steps: 1. Wash the zucchinis and take a grater. Peeling of zucchinis is optional. I did not peel the zucchinis for my recipe. Grate the zucchini. Make sure that the size of the grater is not too small or big. We do not want the zucchinis to look mashed. 2. Once grated, take a muslin cloth, (if you do not own one, any thin cloth will suffice) and add the grated zucchini. 3. Squeeze out all the excess water from the zucchini and add it to a separate bowl. Show all your power here as we do not want the zucchini to have a lot of moisture. Pro Tip – You can have the juice in the mornings if you do not wish to waste it. 4. After 90% of the water is squeezed, take a bowl and add the zucchini to it. Now, it is time to spice it up. 5. Add the turmeric powder, white pepper, salt and the flour into the bowl. 6. Mix it with a spoon or by hand gently. Do not squeeze the batter as it might give out more juice. Make sure that the ingredients are properly coated with each other and you have a thick mixture. 7. Keep it aside for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, take a pan and add 4 to 6 tablespoons of oil of choice. I used groundnut oil for this recipe. 8. As the oil gets hot, grease your palm with oil and take a ball of the mixture to make patties like shown in the picture. Since we are going to shallow fry for the fritters, I have made flat patties. If you plan to deep fry, then you may make round balls.
9. Place the patties in the oil, and shallow fry them until golden brown. Place the fried patties on a tissue or any oil absorbent cloth to remove excess oil. 10. Serve it hot with any dip of choice. If you are planning to make this on Induction, please cook in the same manner in fry mode until golden brown. If you are planning to eat healthy, here are some alternatives – · If you wish to try with an Air Fryer – Brush some oil on top of the patties and air fry them on “Fry” mode for 10 minutes at 200oF. · If you wish to try on a pan – Brush some oil on top of the patties and sauté them until golden brown. This would be a great snack for the evenings for kids and adults. If you have uninvited guests or a large party, this would make a quick snack to make for them! Or if you live in a college dorm, this would suit you best when on a tight budget.